1. Sally had 56 apples. She gave away 7 apples to her friend Anna, and she ate 9 apples. How many are left??
Strategy : 7 - 56 = 49 and 49 - 9 = 40
So the answer is 40.
- From this I've learnt how to take away from numbers.
2. Sam was given 50 dollars from his birthday. He gave 20 dollars to his parents, and 11 dollars were stolen. How much money was left over?
Strategy : 50 - 20 = 30 and 30 - 11 = 19
So the answer is 19
-From this I've learnt how to take away and use the answer from the equation and takeaway from that number.
3. Nicole has a collection of the Frangipani Flowers. She has 100 flowers altogether. For her 11th birthday she was given another set of Flowers. But this time she got a set of Lilly flowers . If she was to times the amount of lilly flowers twice she would get the number 40.
How much Lilly flowers did she receive.
Strategy : 20 x 2 = 40 so there is 40 lilly flowers. 100 + 40 = 140.
- I've learnt from this how to multiply big numbers .